Wednesday 26 June 2013

Mr. Ford's idea of 'sacrificing'

Mr. Ford & I are in couple's therapy because he needs to be fixed.
Boy oh boy I don't run out of things to tell that poor therapist. On our next visit I'm going to talk about how he thinks we live like peasants whilst in reality we live quite well.


The talk of 'making sacrifices' & reducing our non-essential living expenses has really been kicked in to high gear recently.

The reasons are:
#1- We are going to Europe in January & although I have savings going in to a hypothetical 'travel fund' every month, it helps to have added security & ease of mind for us to cut down on our expenses now & not have to worry about our funds getting low around Christmas time.


#2- We need to move. Our house is completely livable but we are not the type to just sit still & live in it. We don't have kids (because SOME people won't get their wives pregnant) so why not put money in to a house to make it better?


Problem is when you've put so much money in to your house that it exceeds the general value of the neighbourhood & you run the risk of not making the money back when you sell.
This is where Mr. Ford & I are at. In just over a year & a half we've put 20 grand in to the house. Hopefully buyers will see that but maybe they won't look at it because it's out of the price range of the general buyer in this neighbourhood... worrisome.
This is why we need to move to a neighbourhood where there is a variety of classes & where houses have room to appreciate. Plus, it'd be kind of nice to upgrade. Not have quite a to do list & relax a little more.

In any case, Mr. Ford, upon reviewing the budget, had the opinion that we shouldn't move because he doesn't want to pay a higher mortgage & 'sacrifice more'. Ugh. Rest assured I am shaking my head while I type this. Shaking it so very hard...

He proceeded to criticise a budget that includes funds for 25 Jets games, 50/50 draws at each of those games, ONE gym membershiphis, a gazillion dollars worth of jarred sand (protein powders), soccer & hockey leagues, donations, entertainment, restaurants, clothes & gifts. WELL GEEZ I GUESS WE MUST BE LIVING ON THE VERGE OF POVERTY! *HEAD SHAKE, HEAD SHAKE*


He has said (and I quote) "What more is there for us to give up!?"

Thankfully, Mr. Ford has slept on this & has decided that I am right. Again. And we should move.
I like to remind him that he should not question my judgement, look who I picked...

As much as I criticise his spending habits (because it's so easy) I do try to do everything I can to keep the money that get shelled out on account of me to a minimum. But really, I don't have much in the name of bad spending habits.
I like the occasional bubble tea. Once in a while when Mr. Ford abandons me to play hockey I'll buy a $2.00 movie on PVR, Luibov eats my shoes & from time to time I'll replace a pair... seriously? That's it?


Yep, I guess you-know-who doesn't need to give up his protein powders & risk being even less beefy & I guess he should pay to exercise instead of taking the dog for a run... he must have some pretty strange thoughts going through his mind to know all of this but still feels that he has a leg to stand on when he says that he has no way of saving us some money.

Mr Ford is sneaky that way. I don't know where he got that quiet, sneaky gene as Mr. Ford senior is blind & you can here him rattling by from a mile away.

To illustrate how sneaky Mr. Ford's mind is, lets talk about his eating habits.

Mr Ford likes to have his 'own' food. Food that just he likes.
When we go shopping together I try to encourage him to compromise with me & get things that we both like & can have as shared meals. Sounds reasonable enough right? But lo & behold after we go on our family shopping trips to Walmart he'll sneak off to Food Fare & purchase another cart of things that just he likes.

This is how I feel about that:


But here's the kicker, he'll eat the kind we both like BEFORE moving on to his own choices,

An example: Yesterday I made us both salads for lunch. This morning I go to take the balsamic vinaigrette dressing to accompany the salad & poor boy tells me "Noooooo.... that's the kind I want!!!"

WHAT!!!!???

I return to the fridge to show him the other selection of dressings: mandarin orange, ranch, poppyseed, all of which he has bought for himself & I don't use. But that just wont do. He wants to first eat all of the dressing I like before he moves on to the other dressings without having to worry that I'll use any of them (while I parch from eating dry salad).
Its like the freaking hunger games! I know therapist would tell us that we could have just put a small amount of dressing in individual containers but THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

He does the same thing with cereal. As we don't have a car, when we shop for non-perishables, we stock up. I'll buy 2 bags of the honey glazed puffs & he'll buy four bags of choco-crisps.
A couple of weeks later, what should he be doing but enjoying my last bowl of honey puffs before he open the first bag of choco-crisps & gets to eat them all himself without 'fear' of me wanting any.
Same goes for salsas. And when we bought a batch of 20 burfies (milk cakes) from the Indian food restaurant, as soon as I made the mistake of telling him my favourites where the rose ones & I didn't much care for the carrot ones, he breathed a sigh of relief & gobbled up all the rose ones, leaving the carrot flavour in the fridge to eat at his leisure. I feel like I have to compete with my husband over who gets to eat.


The only think that's safe from him is the artisan olives. He hates olives.

Conclusion: Mike (yet again) comes to his senses & acknowledges that I am right about our choices as homeowners without ever actually admitting that I am right (what a travesty...)
Also, everything I like in our house is getting doused in olive juice when he's at hockey tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment