Monday 25 February 2013

Mr. Ford's cuisine

I have been a vegetarian for about 12 years with recent efforts to be more of an 'ethical eater'. By that, I mean that I try my best to make more 'ethical' food choices without adding any other set-in-stone rules. My efforts include buying local whenever possible, buying rice, almond & soy milks instead of cow juice & searching for local, vegetarian free run eggs instead of my usual routine of finding the cheapest brands I can.

Mr. Ford was never a 'steak 'n' tators' kind of guy, but when we met, he did put chicken fingers, burgers, scrimps etc in to his gullet. For the first couple years of my M& Mr. Ford's relationship, I (the primary chef) prepared him animal protein.

I think I might have even liked it. I wanted to be the Holly home-maker & provide him with beautiful 'complete' meals & I could still enjoy the smell of the bacon. Unfortunately one day, after I had made & served Mr. Ford a beautiful roast chicken dinner, I requested that he please clean off the rest of the chicken for sandwiches & salad. He didn't. He was just TOO BUSY (winning the cup in NHL 2011 is time consuming I hear).
So crouching ginger set about cleaning off the bones. And breaking them & hearing the crunching as that poor little thing was further mutilated by my hands. Then I started to cry. In the kitchen. Like a blubbering idiot. Over the chicken carcass.



My solution to this trauma? Telling Mr. Ford I do not expect him to adopt my lifestyle, but cannot continue to prepare him dead animals. Since Mr. Ford cannot cook, he has now been a vegetarian for close to two years.

Yesterday, Mr. Ford made dinner. I expected that he would use his 'wonky creative cuisine' abilities, to use up some of of the perishables in the fridge:




These include; 2 types of mushrooms, hummus, lettuce, tomatoes, apples, avacado, yams, etc etc.

What he made was this:

If you can't tell over the golden brown crusts, this is boxed deep fried yam fries, egg rolls, spring rolls & mozzarella sticks.

Mr. Ford acknowledges now that his dinner choice was damaging & then started to panic that we were both going to break out. I made him eat 2 organic oranges so he wouldn't have a heart attack & die.

To be fair, it was a lot better than some of his previous cooking experiments such as under-cooked potatoes dipped in beet juice & covered in pumpkin spice...but that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment